Dr. Jay Avenido
Resources for Research
Resources for Students
1. Provide a brief description of your department and list the programs within your department?
The Allied Health Department prepares students to be successful in the medical field. Programs include Medical Assisting, Pharmacy Technology, Health Care Administration, Bio-Medical Equipment Technology.
2. List possible jobs opportunities/ career opportunities for each program.
- Doctors offices
- Insurance Companies
- Cancer Registries
- Chiropractic Offices
3. What are the job responsibilities and duties?
- Patient (customer) service
- Patient Education
- Laboratory skills (Phlebotomy, Urinalysis, EKG, etc)
- Trouble shooting skills
- Dosage Calculations
- Communication skills with patients and doctors
4. How do you become successful in the field?
- Continuing education
- Experience (perfecting skills)
5. What are the current and future trends?
- Increase need for bio-med students
- Retail pharmacy
- Electronic medical records
- New diseases requiring new treatments (H1N1)
6. What is the certifications requirement in this profession? Is certification a requirement for graduation or job?
Medical Assisting – Certified Medical Assisting
Pharmacy Tech – Certified Pharmacy Tech
7. Please add additional questions/responses important to your department/program.
- Club information: Meets weekly, very active, Participates in many activities (Fundraising activities).
- Co-op/externship programs: Externships done at doctors’ offices and hospitals.
- Field trips to children’s hospital’s pharmacy department.
This Website is provided “as is” for a public service to the educational community. Use of information from this website is voluntary and at the discretion of the viewer. BMC Library Cincinnati provides links to many websites that we do not control, maintain, or regulate. EDMC and Brown Mackie College disclaims any responsibility or liability for the services or information herein.
Brown Mackie College Cincinnati is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any Web site linked to this Web site. The links are provided for your information and convenience only. Brown Mackie College Cincinnati does not endorse, support or sponsor the content of any linked Web sites. If you access or use any third party Web sites linked to Brown Mackie College Cincinnati Library Web site, you do so at your own risk. Brown Mackie College Cincinnati makes no representation or warranty that any other Web site is free from viruses, worms or other software that may have a destructive nature.