For databases and research links for practical nursing, click Medical Studies.
Basic Program Information:
- 15 month program.
- Prepares student for Licensure as a Practical Nurse.
- Students must pass a national licensure exam (NCLEX) to obtain licensure from state board of nursing.
- Cincinnati 1 of 4 Ohio campuses: Findlay (main), Cincinnati, Akron, North Canton.
- Background checks and drug screens required at certain levels of program. If potential student divulges background suggest the student should meet with associate administrator.
- Approved by Ohio Board of Nursing (OBN) as branch of Findlay campus and ACICS.
- No entrance exam, therefore grading scale set higher than other programs. 80% considered passing. Anything less than 80% is F.
- Academic standing will be reviewed four times throughout program. Student must meet expectations outlined in college catalog and PN handbook to avoid dismissal.
- Clinical experience in multiple areas of healthcare: long term, rehabilitation, acute care, pediatrics, and OB.
- Clinical starts in 5th month. Clinical component just as important as theory component. Gives students a chance to practice skills.
- Medical information due prior to start of clinical rotation.
- In some classes if clinical is missed results in failure of course.
- Practicum as last course- NUR 2900. Required to complete 80 hours working one on one with nurse in healthcare setting. Must also pass NCLEX style comprehensive computer exam.
- Tutoring offered by all instructors, 30 minutes of group tutoring per week and individual as needed.
- Required to wear uniforms for clinical and lab testing.
- Required to wear scrubs to class beginning in PN 1030.
- Nursing PROFESSION. PN students held to high standard of professionalism, such as timeliness, dress, language, behavior, work ethic, etc.
- Abundance of required reading. To be successful need to read, attend all class hours, and use available resources such as tutoring.
This Website is provided “as is” for a public service to the educational community. Use of information from this website is voluntary and at the discretion of the viewer. BMC Library Cincinnati provides links to many websites that we do not control, maintain, or regulate. EDMC and Brown Mackie College disclaims any responsibility or liability for the services or information herein.