CHARACTERISTICS OF EFFECTIVE RESEARCH ASSIGNMENTS
- They are clear, easy to understand.
- They are relevant to course goals.
- They specify the source materials to be used.
- They are feasible, both in terms of the library’s resources and the scope of the topic chosen.
- They are designed with and/or previewed by librarians.
- They have been tested by instructors before being given to students.
- They have been broken down into a series of shorter, sequenced tasks or assignments.
- The assignments are linked closely in time to instruction.
- They are appropriately challenging.
10. They encourage students to use the library for their own needs and apply what they have learned in your class to further their personal and academic goals.
RESEARCH ASSIGNMENT TEMPLATE
Instructor Name/Contact Information_____________________
Librarian Name (your subject specialist)/Contact Information__________________________________________
Title of Research Project_________________________________
Type of Project (oral presentation, typewritten paper, power point presentation, poster, etc.)
Description Numbered for easy reference
1 Journal article – from E-Resource Databases
2 Book – Library Catalog
3 Web Resource – Cincinnati Library ; or evaluate website using:
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: Or, Why It’s a Good Idea to Evaluate Web Sources
UC Berkeley – Teaching Library Internet Workshops
Timeline Confirm topic with instructor by:____________________
Confirm resources with librarian by:____________
Rough draft conference with classmate by:______________
Final draft to instructor by:__________________________
Format Spacing: Double
Font: Times New Roman
Font size: 12 point
Margins: 1 inch on all sides
Citation style: APA (NO either or; one or the other)
In-text parenthetical references: Yes______ No______
Length: 3 pages minimum – Not including title page and reference page (APA) or works cited page (MLA).
Online Writing Help Owl Purdue – Purdue, ie. APA, MLA style guides, Plagiarism, Grammar.
Penalties Numbered for easy reference
Value of assignment 100 points
This Website is provided “as is” for a public service to the educational community. Use of information from this website is voluntary and at the discretion of the viewer. BMC Library Cincinnati provides links to many websites that we do not control, maintain, or regulate. EDMC and Brown Mackie College disclaims any responsibility or liability for the services or information herein.